Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Notes for Self

After much thought, I have decided to officially start a blog.  I realize I type like I talk, so if anyone does read this, assuming I eventually make this public, then I apologize for my stream of consciousness.  I have decided to start this, to mostly archive for my own uses what I am checking out currently, linking things via video or websites, or just naming certain things to keep a personal record.  I am voraciously trying to learn more about the world, from different points of view, and usually through my own warped vantage point, but who of us can say we have a "normal" vantage point.  All experiences are of the self, and I am sure I would be confused if suddenly given the ability to see the world from someone else's eyes.  I digress...

The title of the Blog comes from two Samuel Beckett quotes, "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better," or "Go on failing. Go on. Only next time, try to fail better." Both quotes are inspirational to me, even given the apparent darkness that weighs with them.  I feel my own life has been a series of failures, but as long as I can fail better each time, then I am winning this game called life.  A good friend of mine once told life was a game, so viewing life like this makes it easier to detach yourself from it, as far as giving it values of good and bad.  From being a pseudo follower of Buddhism, I am trying to find a middle path, and the more I can not be affected by the bad, as well as not be completely over-joyed with the good, the better balance I can set for myself, and hopefully avoid suffering as best as possible.

So moving on with what I set out to do in this blog, was give a snapshot into what is on my mind, mostly as far as what I am thinking about, without going into unnecessary specifics.  Said Snapshot of the evening consisted of listening to a new 180 gram vinyl reissue of Joy Division's "Unknown Pleasures."  After a few friends and a few PBRs, the listening changed to selections from Sonny Rollins' "Sonny Meets Hawk" featuring Don Cherry, Billy Higgins, Henry Grimes, Paul Bley and the great Coleman Hawkins, as well as Albert Ayler's recording of performing at John Coltrane's funeral.  It's hard to take the ending of that, when Albert stops playing his saxophone, and starts screaming, yelling, singing, crying, all at once...

The blog will continue another night, for it is late, but a good record of what has begun, and what is to come...

1 comment:

  1. Woohooooo! First comment!

    what did the buddhist monk say to the the hot dog vendor?

    make me one with everything!

    bwaaahh! zen lunatics

    ReplyDelete