Friday, January 8, 2010

Philippe Halsman and Dali


I was at an exhibit in Loveland, Colorado, of all places, seeing a collection of illustrations that Salvador Dali made for Dante's Divine Comedy, as well as Don Quixote and Alice in Wonderland. After finishing the exhibit I noticed a handful of photographs by Philippe Halsman, a fellow surrealist, that had taken a bunch of photos of Dali. If you google his name, you will find some incredible photographs of Dali, as well as Alfred Einstein. Anyways, what caught my eye was the following quote from his, as his rules to create unusual photography.

1) The rule of unusual technique

2) The rule of the added unusual feature

3) The rule of the missing feature.

I believe one could use all of these rules on a musical composition level, and as I am in the middle of doing a lot of writing currently, I may try to write a piece using all three of these ideas, or rather three variations of the same music, but with each rule in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment