Wednesday, November 17, 2010

More on Cornelius Cardew


More Cardew! It seems there is a resurgence of Cornelius Cardew's work/live performances etc.... going on right now.I myself have not known about his work more than two years, but the more I search for it the more I find it. There is THIS incredible website with a lot of information on the AMM and their live performances. A lot of these bootlegs are found exclusively in libraries in London, so if I ever do make it out to England I'll be looking them up.

Speaking of London, the Institute of Contemporary Arts based in London put together the following performances/lectures on Cornelius Cardew as a two day symposium November 21-22 of 2009. THIS is a link to the ICA website's writeup on the conference. The videos include several Cardew collaborators, and are incredible modern day performances of his work. Most of the videos are around an hour long, so it's a lot of material that I just started to get through. Possibly down the road I will comment on them, as now I have only heard part of the Great Learning. More to come!

Cornelius Cardew Videos:

The Great Learning : Two great performances from taken from the Great Learning

Five Autumn 60 : Another collection of Cardew performances

Jamming Session : Lecture with panelists, personally I found it too dry, and not enough information on Cardew himself

Three Fourth System : John Tilbury's performance of some of Cardew's piano pieces

Two Scratch Orchestra : Panel lecture on Cardew, highly recommended!

Presentation of "If the Route" : Another good panel lecture!

The Final Decade : Nice lecture by John Tilbury and Rzewski performance of Cardew

And by the way, check out the Zorn link from the blog post before, they are adding more videos to it every once in a while, so it's becoming a bigger resource than I originally thought. There's a high quality live Claudia Quintet concert with Trevor Dunn on electric bass uploaded that is very much worth checking out!!

No comments:

Post a Comment