Monday, February 21, 2011

Quick Archive, Mirror and Voynich


Mirror is the score to Miles Okazaki. I'm looking for the CD as we speak on ebay. Incredible complex music, and part of the more recent trend of hyper mathematical music, that I can trace back to Steve Coleman and Vijay Iyer. Oh look, I found it on amazon as an mp3 download for 8.99. Downloading currently!! To be honest I don't know much about this musician, but I am fascinated more by the music if musicians post their scores online. I have bought scores in the past from Tim Berne and John Hollenbeck to better understand their music in their own writings. I even have a few Zorn scores that I have found via friends and interlibrary loan. Maybe I will edit this post or repost when I have heard the music! Looking around I highly reccomend checking out more on his websites, articles, drawings scores, really incredible information!

The other bit I wanted to archive here was this book I found out about via huffingtonpost's site. This is the Voynich Manuscript. It's a remarkable old book, recently carbon dated as being over 600 years old, and is written in a language using symbols that have been so far undecipherable. Their are also pictures related to plants, medicine, astronomy, and other subjects. It immediately struck my attention because of my work with Cornelius Cardew's Treatise, a piece that is slightly familiar, but also completely new and foreign. I would like to possibly study the manuscript (I found it online via a webtorrent as a pdf scan) and try to work out some musical possibilities related to the information concerning the text.

No comments:

Post a Comment